Even though it’s already June and summer is heating up, many of you may be doing some “Spring cleaning” Instead of hauling boxes to the nearest consignment shop, consider selling these items yourself, leaving you with a cleaner home and a little extra cash. One of the most popular platforms for selling pre-owned products is the Facebook Marketplace. I have used this platform myself and have had a lot of success, you can too! Below, I have outlined instructions on how to use Facebook Marketplace, some personal tips of my own, and a brief description of some other platforms used to sell items online.
Step 1: Locate Facebook Marketplace
You must have a Facebook account in order to use Facebook Marketplace. If you do not already have on, simply search for it online and you can set up an account in a few easy steps. If you are viewing Facebook on your computer browser, click the “Home” button and “Marketplace” will be the third option under your name on the upper left-hand side of the screen. If you are viewing Facebook on the app, it will be the second tab from the left on the bottom of the screen.
Step 2: How to List an Item
Whether you are using your web browser or the app, there will be an option to “Sell” something. Once you click on that, you can select items, vehicles, homes, or even job listings. Once you have selected your category, you are guided to describe the item and price it. It should be noted that you must include good pictures with your item- showing all features and/or flaws. Lastly, you are prompted to choose where you would like your item posted- in a specific group or publicly in Facebook Marketplace.
Step 3: Communicate with Buyers
When someone is interested in your item, they have the option to message you, share the item, or save it for later. Once they message you, coordinate a time and place to meet and sell the item in a well-visited, PUBLIC location.
Tips & Tricks for Using Facebook Marketplace
1. More Photos - Marketplace allows up to 10 pictures per item, so use them to make sure the buyer knows exactly what they are getting.
2. Price Reasonably - the best way to price an item is to look up the same product on Marketplace before you list, to see what similar items are being sold at. You don’t want to price to high and drive buyers away, but you also don’t want to low-ball and lose money.
3. Negotiate - sometimes selling an item in a more convenient location for less is better than waiting for months to get full price.
4. Turn On Notifications - you don’t want to miss out on someone interested in your item!
Other Platforms for Selling
1. Ebay: A popular site used to find almost any item- however, you are required to ship items to the buyer, often at your own expense. Ebay is a convenient place to shop secondhand online.
2. Poshmark: An up-and-coming website for fashion, accessories, and home goods. Many items are used, while others are new with tags attached. Sellers do not pay for shipping on Poshmark, however, Poshmark takes a fee out of every item sold.
3. Craigslist: A messier, albeit effective, platform for selling items. Typically, this is popular with mechanical items such as heavy equipment, lawnmowers, and more.
If you have any questions regarding internet sales and using your mobile device to access them, stop by your nearest mkCellular to talk with a Wireless Consultant. Happy Selling!
Inspiring stories and how-to advice to help you do amazing things on the go, every day.